Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Space Shuttle Discovery

One of my goals during our time in Florida was to get to experience a Shuttle launch before the program is over. After almost 8 months of living here there was finally a successful launch! I had planned to go to the originally scheduled launch back on November 1, 2010, however, due to a bunch of issues the launch got pushed back until February 24, 2011. Luckily, I was able to get away from work for the afternoon long enough to make the drive (wow.. horrible traffic) and see the launch.

Even this attempt almost didn't happen, as there was a computer issue at 5 minutes from the launch time. They quickly resolved the issue and Discovery took off with just 2 seconds left in the launch window. This was Discovery's last flight before they retired her.

I viewed the launch from Titusville, FL, which put me about 13 miles away from the launch pad. Seeing the launch was amazing, being there and actually feeling the rumble from the rocket booster is an experience that I'm so glad I was able to witness. I didn't have my tripod, but I was still very pleased with the pictures. Here are a few of my favorites:


This is a panorama of the street in Titusville. It was packed. Very packed. In fact, I had bumper to bumper traffic all the way back to work in Tampa.










The next two pictures show the Solid Rocket Boosters coming off the shuttle, which happens after about 2 minutes of flight.



Last picture, and probably my favorite, showing Discovery's track through the clouds.


-Grant

1 comment:

  1. Wow, awesome photography! And what a special experience since it was Discovery's last launch, very cool!

    ReplyDelete